Big Local


Minutes for Meetings held Monday 19th
October 2015 at 19:00 until 20:00 – Open Meeting in the Take5 Cafe Area and
20:00 until 22:00 – Closed Meeting at Brookside Central in the Blakemore Room.


Present for
Open Meeting: Helen Fairweather,
Steve Thayne, Stuart Parr, Sam Smith, Arnold England, Janet Holmes, Sam Smith,
Nikki Lane, Roxy Forbes, Rebecca Molloy, Grant Clayton and Nicola Anderson.


Present for
Closed Meeting: Sarah Durnall, Fiona Moore, Barbara
Vandross (Part), Helen Fairweather, Steve Thayne,
Stuart Parr, Sam Smith, Rebecca Molloy, Arnold England and Nicola Anderson.


Apologies for
Closed Meeting: Tina Rogers, Gillian Bailey, John Trubshaw,
John Edwards, John Maguire, Angie Wilson and Rick Shaw.




There was a
general introduction for everyone in attendance.


The open meeting
focused on the activities of the Cre-Active Group,
which is organised and run by Nikki, Rebecca, Grant, Steve and Roxy.


The group were
told how the group came to be and how positive, even in it’s
early days, it’s being for the young and older residents alike.


The Sunday
sessions are proving popular with an average of 40 attendee’s creating arts,
music and creative writing.


The sessions
have an initial theme, but, the theme can be expanded by the child’s
imagination or creative energy. On Sunday the group are using the Big bang Event as a general theme so that the children can
showcase their work whether through Art, Music or Writing.


The group talked
about their funding, they have been allocated funds, which they are hardly
using. A music library is in it’s infant stage and
already proving beneficial for the young aspiring musicians.


Safeguarding the
children is paramount to the group, current volunteers have attended a
Safeguarding Awareness course and are either DBS checked or in the process of
being vetted.


The group are
keen to be self-sustaining. There are various ideas for potential CIC
opportunities; for example:


  • Music Library
  • Artwork Sales
  • Life Skills lessons – Hairdressing,
    Nails, Dressmaking/Design, Script writing/Film making – the list is


The group talked
about working with the Police using restorative justice for children with
issues, for example, using the child’s time to restore graffitti
with creative art, using fly tipped furniture and restore it, the possibilities
are endless.


The group talked
about linking their activities with the local schools for seasonal breaks like
Easter, Harvest (recently happened and was fabulous) and Christmas.


There are other
funds that can be accessed through the Borough and Parish Councils. The
councillors from both are keen to assist the group.


The group talked
about the visible response to their activities:


  • Building positive relationships
    between adults and children.
  • Teaching listening skills and mutual
  • Something for the children to look
    forward too, giving them the medium to express themselves
  • Through creative writing, the
    children are able to express themselves or write about the things that
    worry them.


Urban farming
was discussed, the Cre-Active group have enabled the
children to express their ideas openly and are in a position to investigate and
empore them to make their ideas a reality.


The group
expressed ideas for funding:


  • Drum Kit and Repair Kit – £400
  • Guitars for left handed children
  • PA system – £700 – £800 – could be
    used in the CIC idea
  • Microphones
  • Skills for Bid Writing
  • Disposable “CSI Suits” to protect
    clothing on the graffitti projects
  • Laser projector – Cinema projection
    thingmejig” – £300 – Community Chest


It was suggested
that shared resources could be found from othe Big
local groups, for example York, teaming up with Madeley
Council and Abraham Darby School who have an excellent music program. Dance
classes, street dance etc.




Meeting –
as per Agenda


Minutes from the
meeting held on 21st September were approved with the amendment of adding
Arnold England to the attendee’s list. With 2 things still pending on the To Do List:


  1. DBS Checks costs – Sam/Gillian
  2. Arts/Music Sub Group minutes to be
    forwarded by Sarah Durnall


BIG Chat
Networking Event – 17/10/2015 –
was agreed that the event was both beneficial and a success. Notes from the
meeting are attached for all to see, these have been forwarded to all attendee’s with the invitation to join The BIG Chat Facebook
page as created by Nikki Lane, a forum for our groups to communicate and talk
about the good and the bad. It’s appropriate for it to be documented that Take5
Cafe, Telford Bikes and John Trubshaw’s presentation
were the stars of the day – above and beyond inspiring attitude. Thank you.


There are
country-wide networking events that could be beneficial, transport, childcare
costs are met. Something to think about.


– Again thanks to
John for his hard work. Ideas to be addressed at the next meeting.


Brookside Big
Local Insurance –
 Further insurance quotes have been requested
from Zurich, Access Insurance and Morton Michel. At the minute:


  • Aviva – Annual – £1,047.01
  • Aviva – 3 Year Binding Agreement –


This is an
on-going project to be discussed at the next BBL meeting. The additional quotes
are a necessity for transparency.


DBS Checks
for Volunteers/Partnership Members –
is going to investigate and do a costing report. This will be carried onto the
next Agenda.


Proposal for
Brookside Big Local Co-Ordiantor Role – 
has submitted a draft formal specification of this role – attached. Line
Managed by Gillian/LTO. Report to Partnership, any other duties as required,
flexible – unsocialable hours, evening, weekend work etc, member of the community of possible, a job created for
the community not a person. Initial funding for 3 years with the applicant
looking to self-sustaining the role. This role has been agreed and endorsed.


Annual Review
The date has been
decided for Monday 2nd of November from 16:00. A large to do list mentioned
below. Please CC all involved with any emails. The Flyer created should be
added to BBL Website/Facebook Page as well as the local community and organiser
Facebook pages.


for BBL Partnership Members –
is a two tiered system in place now. Members who are able to attend meetings
and assist with policy decisions and Members who can be part of the partnership
and achieve goals. (if I have worded this incorrectly I apologise), the aim for
BBL is for all to participate. Agreed procedures:


  • Members have to attend three
    meetings within a six month period.


This will be
added to the next meeting as further information/collaberation
is required.


Update –
Please refer to
the Open Meeting Minutes, this amalagmates Health and
Well Being and the Environmental group.


Updates/Reports –
Print have been chosen to provide 2,000 Post Cards, with amended contact
details at £108 inclusive of VAT. These will be posted in all doors including a
Brookside Community Chest/ Plan A5 leaflet with ammended
details, costs to be researched. For the interim, the Brookside Big Local Plan
will be printed as and when required.




  • BIG Get Together – Videos of BBL events and interviews
    to be shown at the event, this will show how BBL and the Co-Operative
    Council are working together to achieve the same aims. Priorities and
    Ideals will be on display, including; The BBL, BEG. Arnold and Tina will
    hold a question and answer forum, it would be good for other Parish
    Councillors to be in attendance for this as Sarah, Fiona and Gillian.


  • Arnold brought up a car parking
    project that we could all assist with.


Events –
Please see
Dates/Events for your diary listed below.



Brookside Big
Local Next “Suggested” Meeting –
16th November– Open Meeting 19:00 until 20:00, Closed Meeting – 20:00 until
21:30ish at Brookside Central.




  • Open Meeting – Helen to forward information
    concerning assistance/funding from alternative groups.
  • Open Meeting – Sam to cost protective clothing
    (Disposable, SP Services, Boundtree do packs of
    CSI suits – suggestion for you)
  • Open Meeting – Arnold with the assistance of
    Stuart, Gillian and Jackie to forward information on available environment
    funding available and suggestions for “bid writing”.
  • Open Meeting – The Cre-Active
    Group to have written quotations for the equipment noted above.
  • Closed Meeting – Childminding is a wee issue that has
    to be addressed. (Just thought of this), Nicola to look for solutions for
    this issue, working with respected childminder – Carol Rigby for ideas for
    minders during the meetings. I’d appreciate John’s and Angie’s thoughts on
    this – a cost that can be absorbed? To be added to the next Agenda.
  • Closed Meeting – DBS quotes and ideas followed
    through to next meeting.
  • Closed Meeting – Annual Review – Helen to give an idea for pamplet/leaflet to Sam, Nicola to email Take5 Cafe
    with regards to refreshments, Nicola to email Nikki/Cre-Active
    Group with regards to a creative activity. Leaflets to be organised for
    schools – 12 x 30 for Windmill, 9 x 30 for Holmer
    Lake and 50 x for Nursery Children, arranged into packs for schools. The
    vouchers to be distributed for free refreshments/creative activities at
    the door of Brookside Central.
  • Closed Meeting – Co-Ordinator Role –
    Amendments to be
    made as above – Gillian.
  • Closed Meeting – BBL Membership – Nicola/Sam/Tina to work together on
    attendance and format of general email to be sent to absent attendees.
    Childcare, work commitments need to be taken into consideration.
  • Closed Meeting – LTO Report – Re-Print with amended contact
    details to be costed. These leaflets will be posted along with postcards.




  • 30/10/2015 – BIG Get Together –
    Brookside Central – 09:30 – 11:30
  • 30/10/2015 – Hallow’een
    Disco – Brookside Central – 15:30 – 17:30
  • 30/10/2015 – Pub Quiz – Brookside
    Central – 19:00 – 23:00
  • 14/11/2015 – Arts/Music Pre-Big Bang
    Event – Brookside Central – 17:00 – 19:00
  • 14/11/2015 – Big Bang Event – The
    Windmill Primary School Grounds – 19:00ish onwards
  • 2nd Nov 2015 – Local Trust Annual
    Review – from 16:00
  • 2nd Nov 2015 – Local Trust
    Partnership Review – from 16:00
  • 01/12/2015 – Christmas Gathering –
    Brookside Central – 15:30 – 17:30
  • 03/12/2015 – Winter Wonderland –
    Brookside Central – 15:30 until 17:30
  • 10/12/2015 – Christmas Fair –
    Brookside Central – 15:30 until 17:30