Big Local


Minutes for Meeting held Monday 17th
August 2015 at 20:00 until 22:00 at Brookside Central


Jennie Shaw, Nikki Lane, Barbara Vandross, Rebecca Molloy(Molley?),
Gillian Bailey, Sarah Durnall, Elaine Vinters, John Trubshaw, Gary Insell, Helen Fairweather, Tina
Rogers, Steve Thayne, Rick Shaw and Nicola Anderson.


John Edwards, Stuart Parr, Rob Bennett, John Maguire, Arnold England, Angie
Wilson, Fiona Moore, Tina Brasenell and David Ottely.


Minutes from the
meeting held on 13th July were approved.


As there was new attendees, a brief overview was given of Brookside
Big Local. Over the last two years a group of residents have worked to retrieve
funding from the Lottery fund. This has been achieved through dedicated support
from the Local Trust Organisation and help from Stirchley
and Brookside Parish Council. These dedicated people have achieved £1,000,000
funding to create social re-generation in Brookside over the next 10 years.
This funding is for the residents and volunteers in Brookside to spend in our
community and is predominately based on 8 main aims that can be expanded. A
sheet was handed out with these core aims.


There is an
opportunity for residents to attend a Networking event to be held on a Saturday
in October for other Big Local groups to meet and discuss our various


Local Trust – All formal boxes have been checked and
achieved, the funding will be paid quarterly, we have received £49,000 and this
money is being allocated.


the Brookside Big Local Community Plan –
 Main themes are being
absorbed by the community. Brookside Central is now being seen as a social hub
for our community with the Take5 Cafe, being praised by residents as a success.


Each theme needs
an executable delivery plan, how we can enable residents to become empowered to
be actively involved, there needs to be an allocated slot for our main themes.
Perhaps through sub-groups and residents taking responsibility for them.


There has been
an interest in creating new social enterprises, informal discussions have been
held with, for example, The Credit Union.


A workshop was
discussed to occur in Brookside Central for residents to attend; one in the
daytime to accommodate parents/carers with children and one in the evening to
that ideas can be discussed.


A seperate Social Enterprise workshop to be held in the next
two weeks.


Brookside Big
Local Finance Shedule for the next 12 months –
There is currently £1,934 available for
events and the Community Chest. The Community Chest will be continued as it is
proving to be a success. Discussions are required for budget forecasting and
the monitoring reports are required by the Local Trust by the end of this week.


Chest –
introduced her ideas for bring her Ghanian heritage
and community into our community. This would be an opportunity for residents to
engage and learn about her culture in order for the multi-cultural society that
Brookside is to intigrate better with each other.
This was unanimously agreed as was the the idea of a
Brookside Carnival. As large functions take many months to arrange, risk
assessments, health and safety, insurance liabilities etc
it was decided that BBL wouldn’t be able to assist with her event on 31th
August. It was agreed that BBL would assist, with a budget of up to £800 for
the Beach Party/Skate Park Event to be held on Saturday 5th Sepetember.


Stirchley and Brookside Parish Council have kindly
donated £1,500 for this Beach Party/Skate Park and Luke requires £650 for the
Skate Park event. Gary suggested that he could work arount
his Be Active budget to accommodate this.




Skills and
Audit Evaluation –
sheet was handed out summarising where our strengths are etc. It was
universally agreed that our biggest problem is time. With more Community
Forums, more talking with residents will lead to more involvement freeing up
people’s time. Moving on efficiently will require training, either in-house and
sourcing outside trainers to train at Brookside Central, key area’s identified were:
Business Management, Health and Safety, Business Planning and Financial
Monitoring. Training should be focused on our needs and a costing exercise
should be performed.


There is a Local
Networking event in September on a Saturday, Helen suggested that BBL have a
presence there.


Chest –
First three:
Brookside Friendly Club, Brookside Events Group and Elaine Vinters
have been provisionally approved. Nikki Lane’s has been rejected due to her
budget plan, however it was provisionally agreed that £100 to be paid for her
time and materials for the Arts Event on 8th of August and Training (see
above). It was discussed to pay Grant the muscian,
though the budget has to be looked at. John Trubshaw
should receive payment for a printer that he bought; £75, and additional
funding for his consumables as well. Unsuccessful – Family & Cohesion
Services as £500 won’t cover the cost of the pool table.


Spinal Path –
Pride in your Community – 
At Tina Brasenell’s
request, Nicola updated residents with Tina’s new role and should anyone have
any environmental concerns to contact her directly. As promised here is the
link for more information on her street champion campaign:


The bulbs and
clean up for the spinal path planting will happen the last week in August/First
week in September.


The door
knocking that TWC and residents was deemed extremely positive and informative.


Feedback from
the Music and Arts Event held on August 8th –
Was a success. Branding of Brookside Big
local has to be more prolific – a permenant stand
within Brookside Central, more defined Website, perhaps postcards so that
people can leave their details to be informed of upcoming events. A database of
contacts to be maintained.


The arts and
creative writing was a massive part of the event. The arts enable young and old
to express themselves and the creative writing enabled families to participate


It was
unanimously agreed that we need consistency with the Arts projects, which will
enable a higher resident participation, for example, regular workshops for
arts, music and crafts, pehaps on a Sunday for this
we’d beed to budget:


  • £500 for 10 weeks rrom hire at Brookside Central
  • £200 for materials
  • Budget for paying musicians/artists
    to attend these workshops


The above has
provisionally approved.


There is a free
Safeguarding course to be held in Donnington Life Long Learning Centre on the
9th and 16th Spetember from 13:00 until 15:00. If the
interest in this course is good then we could hold a
future course in Brookside Central. All interest should be conveyed to Sarah Durnall and Fiona Moore at Brookside Central.


An Arts, Music
and Craft subgroup should be created with an established code of
practice/principles to be defined.


Brookside Big
Local Bonfire/fireworks display to be held Saturday 14th November at 19:00.
However, it was unanimously agreed that this event could be expanded; during
the day an arts, music, crafts and food available
before the main event. Take5 cafe could be involved or a food van subsidised,
this is an idea to be be discussed and expanded.


Central Room Names – 
It was decided that all Brookside Street
Names are to be placed in a bowl and chosen at random by residents.


Brookside Big
Local next meeting –
21st Spetember, 20:00 until 21:30ish!


– A time for a
meeting to be held that we can talk about things that motivate us, our
experiences, our general health, Be Active is interested in this. A resident
run forum for ideas to be discussed, for example; Variety Sports Day, More walls to be available for graffity,
for the younger residents to get involved with expressing themselves









  • Helen to facilitate with the Workshops  both
    Community and Social Enterprise and Nicola to assist, so that these happen
    in the next 2/3 weeks.
  • Gillian and Nicola to meet to
    discuss the questions on the Local trust
    Monitoring report, Community Chest letters and Website.
  • Barbara to discuss with her action
    group for their participation in the Beach Party on the 5th Spetember.
  • Gary to look at his Be Active budget
    for Luke’s Skate Park event and see if he can accommodate Luke with the
  • Gillian to look at a generic
    postcard design for retrieving interested residents contact information.
  • Nikki and Steve to discuss an arts, music and crafts sub group and establish a
    formal code of practice/principles for this group. Nicola can assist if
  • Gillian, Nikki, Rick and Steve to
    talk about more about the available walls for the children to use various
    formats of art to express themselves. Nicola can assist if required.